“Torda” tree dedicated

Rev. Mitra and a small group of congregants met Sunday, Nov. 3, to dedicate a maple tree planted as our participation in marking the 450th anniversary of the Edict of Torda.

Using the Cincinnati Parks Foundation’s commemorative tree program, St. John’s had collected money in 2018 to plant a red maple tree in Washington Park. It has a commemorative plaque and will be maintained by the city.

It is located in the southwest corner of the park, directly across from the old St. John’s Unitarian Church at 12th and Elm, now known as “The Transept” event space and bar

The Edict of Torda, signed by Unitarian King John Sigismund in 1568, was a decree of religious tolerance.  To celebrate this important anniversary, our partner congregation, St. Laszlo, is planting 450 walnut trees in Transylvania.  We at St. John’s wanted to join the celebration by planting our own “Torda” tree. So we collected $350 to purchase a tree and its future care.

Mary and Tom Darner of St. John’s Partner Church Committee, brought a church banner to the dedication.

You’ll find this plaque resting on the ground. Otherwise the wind whips it against the tree.

Leave a Reply