Job Description: Director of Lifespan Religious Education
St. John’s Unitarian Universalist Church
Title: Director of Lifetime Religious Education
Job Type: Full Time / Part Time
FLSA Status: Exempt
Report To: Minister
The Director of Lifetime Religious Education is responsible for overseeing the development and execution of religious education across all age groups for the congregation under the guidance of the Minister and through the lens of Unitarian Universalism.
- Develop and coordinate age appropriate curriculum and programming for all age groups, including but not limited to Sunday morning youth religious education.
- Recruit, train, coordinate, and support volunteer teachers and facilitators to support all congregational educational offerings.
- Recruit, train, and supervise paid staff members.
- Provide professional development and performance management to paid staff and volunteers as necessary.
- Work with minister and lay leaders to schedule and plan services for all ages and coordinate youth participation in selected worship services.
- Work with minister, staff, and volunteers to plan and deliver special educational events.
- Collaborate with minister, staff, and volunteer leaders to ensure seamless execution of educational offerings and events within the broader congregational context.
- Provide direction and coordination for Adult Religious Education.
- Develop and monitor adherence to annual budget.
- Manage educational supplies, curricula, resources, and equipment.
- Update and maintain relevant records.
- Abide by Safe Congregation guidelines at all times.
- Must have regular and reliable attendance.
- Other duties as assigned by the Minister.
- Actively demonstrate and promote the seven principles of the Unitarian-Universalist faith
- Must have the ability to sit and stand for extended periods of time
- Physical agility to lift up to 25 pounds to shoulder height and 50 pounds to waist height
- Ability to bend, stoop, kneel, climb stairs, walk and reach overhead.
- 1-3 years’ experience in Religious Education, Teaching, and / or Youth Ministry
- BA / BS in related field preferred
- Communication Skills: Excellent written and verbal communication and problem solving skills
- Mathematical Skills: Basic math functions such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division
- Reasoning Ability:
- Proactive and strategic
- Must be able to multi-task in a fast paced environment
- Ability to interact with all levels of employees (from entry to senior management)
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Excellent administration skills
- Other skills: Knowledge of MS Word, Publisher, and Power Point preferred.
- Interpersonal Skills:
- Must have ability to work with a diverse population or varying ages, backgrounds, and abilities.
- Must be able to handle complex and sensitive pastoral and managerial concerns with care and confidentiality.
- Work Hours: Ability to work most Sundays and occasional holidays.
- Religious Affiliation: Identified Unitarian-Universalists preferred but not required.